Sunday, June 15, 2008

June 15th--Day 3, Part 2--Helen




We traveled to Helen after the CPK hospital. What an interesting little town. It’s like a little Germany. In fact, the brochure says it is “a taste of Bavaria…in the hills of north Georgia” and that it is a “re-creation of an alpine village complete with cobblestone alleys and old-world towers.”










This is the place where we had lunch--Cafe International. It overlooks the Chattahoochee River, which runs right through the middle of town. There were tons of people tubing down the river. It looked like so much fun. We thought about going, but we all left our bathing suits at the hotel. And Mimi (Ashlynn’s grandmother) jokes that her bathing suit has a hole in the knee that hasn’t been mended yet!





We got to sample fudge and pecan brittle in several candy shops. Ashlynn even fed a carrot to Henrietta (one of the horses that pull the carriages around town). The only two downsides were the dozens of motorcycles roaring through town (along with the constant stream of cars) and all the people smoking. In fact, I think my family were the only ones not puffing away. It was a beautiful town, but pretty noisy and smelly.





There was a lady in the middle of town making balloon animals who appeared to be a gypsy. I did not buy one of her creations in case it should steal my soul. I tried to get her tears in a jar, but she refused. Do not shrink me gypsy!


Papa, Ashlynn, and yours truly!
(Am I handsome or what?!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well...even though YOU didn't stay here to help deliver Wyatt, I am the FIRST person to comment!!!! Who's the better friend? Very cute, and did I mention that Matt, Abi and I were in the very town of Helen not too long ago. Hope you have a great week at camp! Be safe!